Ford Escape: Roof Rack System (if equipped)
Loads should never be placed directly on the roof panel. For proper function of the roof rack system, loads must be placed directly on crossbars affixed to the roof rack side rails. Your vehicle may be equipped with factory-installed crossbars. Ford Genuine Accessory crossbars, designed specifically for your vehicle, are also recommended for use with your roof rack system.
The vehicleвЂ™s roof panel is NOT designed to directly carry a load. The maximum recommended load is 100 lb (45 kg), evenly distributed on the crossbars. Ensure that the load is securely fastened. When the rail system is loaded, check the tightness of the load, including the thumbwheels before driving and at each fuel stop.
WARNING: When loading the roof rail crossbars, it is recommended to evenly distribute the load, as well as maintain a low center of gravity. Loaded vehicles, with higher centers of gravity, may handle differently than unloaded vehicles. Extra precautions, such as slower speeds and increased stopping distance, should be taken when driving a heavily loaded vehicle.
To adjust the cross-bar (if equipped) position:
1. Loosen the thumbwheel at both
ends of the cross-bar (both
cross-bars are adjustable).
2. Slide the cross-bar to the desired location.
3. Tighten the thumbwheel at both ends of the cross-bar.
To remove the cross-bar assembly (if equipped) from the roof rack side rails:
1. Loosen the thumbwheel at both ends of the cross-bar (both cross-bars are adjustable).
2. Slide the cross-bar to the end of the rail.
3. Use a long, flat object to depress
the tongue in the endcaps on both
sides of the cross-bar.
4. Slide the cross-bar assembly off the end of the rail.
Be sure to check that the thumbwheels are tight each time load is added, or removed from the roof rack, and periodically while traveling.
Always ensure the load is secure before traveling.
Note: When the cross bars are installed and unloaded, noise can be minimized by removing, or re-positioning the cross bars. Position the forward cross bar rearward of the center of the roof rail system by 2.5 in (63.5 mm) and space the second cross bar 2.5 in (63.5 mm) from the forward cross bar.
To reinstall the cross-bar assembly (if equipped) to the roof rack side rails:
1. Ensure that both cross-bar
assemblies are installed with the F
(front) arrow facing towards the
front of the vehicle.
2. Use a long, flat object to press the tongue in the endcaps on both sides of the cross-bar.
3. Slide the cross-bar assemblies
over the end cap tongue and into
the side rails.
4. Tighten thumbwheel at both ends of the cross-bar.
Cargo tie-down hooks
Cargo tie-down hooks The cargo area is equipped with four tiedown hooks so that cargo can be secured with a cargo net or ropes. When using the tie-down hooks, turn them down out of the sto ...
Examples of the types of accidents in which the SRS curtain airbag is
unlikely to deploy.
1) The vehicle is involved in an oblique side-on impact. 2) The vehicle is involved in a side-on impact in an area outside the vicinity of the passenger compartment. 3) The vehicle is involv ...
Seats - Do not ride in a moving vehicle when the seatback is reclined. This can be dangerous. The shoulder belt will not be against your body. In an accident, you could be thrown into it ...